Saturday, October 2, 2010

My First Brewing Kit

Hey everyone, Fontes here. So I did it...I finally bought a brewing kit!! At 12:30 p.m. this afternoon I purchased my very own brewing kit. At this time I only have the equipment to brew, but in the next few weeks I will purchase the actual ingredients to brew. As I mentioned in last weeks post, I was looking at two local shops in the state of Rhode Island that specialize in brew supplies. After conducting some research on the internet, I found that Basement Brew Haus was the better of the two shops. For those of you reading this blog that are located in or around the Rhode Island area and are interested in going to this store, it is located at 116 Calverley Street in Providence, Rhode Island. 

When I entered the store, I noticed that there was one type of complete brewing kit available for sale. It was a True Brew brewing kit. The manufactuer of this particular kit is Crosby & Baker Ltd. In addition to making beer kits, the company also produces and sells various other items for brewing, including, hops, yeast, and malt extracts. I was familiar with the True Brew brewing kits since I have seen them on various websites. From the comments that I read about them, I was confident that it was a quality product. The total cost of the purchase came to a little over $82. I was very happy with this price since it was cheaper than most websites that I looked at and since I bought it from a local shop I did not have to pay any shipping costs.

As of this moment, I hope to start brewing within the next two weeks. Before I start brewing I want to become familiar with the equipment and the brewing process. The lady who sold me the beer kit at Basement Brew Haus suggested that I purchase a book called The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. If anyone has any comments about this book please let me know.

As I mentioned in a previous post, my two favorite types of beer are porters and stouts. For my first home brewed beer I am still not sure what I am going to brew. Obviously, I am thinking about brewing a porter or a stout, but I am also giving thought to an IPA. Whatever beer I brew I am sure it will be fun and a learning experience. Maybe not after my first brew, but sooner or later I plan on entering a batch of my home brewed beer into the Samuel Adams Longshot Contest.

I can't wait to start brewing my own beer. If anyone reading this has brewed their own beer before and you have some tips and tricks, please leave a comment. And if you haven't brewed your own beer yet, what are you waiting for!?!? You know you want to do it, so get out there, get a kit and start brewing!

Cheers Everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment