Saturday, October 2, 2010

Sea Dog Pumpkin Ale

Hello everyone, Fontes here. Tonight I'm sitting down and enjoying a glass of Sea Dog Pumpkin Ale. I am drinking this particular brew out of a standard pint glass after pouring it from it's bottle. I purchased this in a six pack for $8.99 at my local liquor store. The beer is amber in color when poured into a glass. Right away I got notes of pumkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar when I smelt this beer. It instantly reminded me of the Dogfish Head Punkin Ale. However, the taste of Sea Dog's Pumpkin Ale is very different from the Dogfish Head Punkin Ale. Sea Dog's brew is spicy on the palate, but in a good way. I do get a taste of pumkin, but what I really taste is the cinnamon and the nutmeg, along with the brown sugar. The Dogfish Head Punkin Ale was much more sweeter than the Sea Dog's Pumpkin Ale. Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale is more of a dessert beer, while Sea Dog's Pumpkin Ale can be drunk anytime. 

Overall, I am going to give this beer a thumbs up. I am really enjoying drinking this beer right now. It is spicy, reminds me of the fall season, and easy to drink. Now I should mention this: You will find other reviews out there that will portray this beer in a bad light. For example, these reviews do not portray this particular brew in a good light for the most part. BUT, don't let that deter you from trying this beer. If you like a pumpkin ale that is spicy and with flavors of pumpkin, nutmeg, and cinnamon, then this beer is for you. If you like an Octoberfest style of beer with more malt flavor and hop flavor then this beer is not for you. Again, in my opinion I really like this brew and it gets a thumbs up from me.

For those of you reading this post who really like Octoberfest style beers, then I suggest that you also try Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale. This beer tastes very similar to the Sea Dog's Pumpkin Ale in the sense that they both have the same kind of spicy flavor. Also, may I also suggest Brooklyn Brewery's Oktoberfest. This beer is also very enjoyable. I do not have either of these two beers on hand at this time, but I will try my best to get more before the season is over so I can give you all a full and detailed review of each of them soon.

Cheers Everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment