Saturday, September 18, 2010

How I Was Introduced To Craft Beer

Hello everyone, Fontes here. Yes it's true, unfortunately there was a time in my life when I was unaware about the wonderful world of craft beer. As a result, I was forced to drink what the majority of American beer drinkers today drink. What might that be you ask? I'm talking about cheap, watered down, mass produced, disgusting beer. That's right, I'm talking about beers like Budweiser, Miller, and Coors. I used to think this kind of beer was good. Like millions of American beer drinkers I was brainwashed by their multi-million dollar add campaigns. I wanted to be the guy at the bar with his friends drinking Budweiser. I wanted to be the guy at the bowling alley drinking Miller High Life. I wanted to be the guy at the football game drinking Coors Light. These were the type of beers I started out drinking when I was a young beer drinker. I can remember my reaction when I first started drinking these beers. I remember saying to myself: "Well I don't really like the way it tastes, because it doesn't really have a taste. But all my friends like it, so I guess I'll keep drinking it." Thinking back to those days, I can't help but laugh at how ignorant I was about beer. And then one day about two years ago, everything changed.

One night about two years ago I was at a friends house. I was sitting down, relaxing, and drinking my normal watered down beer. Then my friend came over and sat next to me. He had a beer in his hand that I never saw before. I said "Hey, what kind of beer is that, I've never seen that before" That's when he gave me a bottle of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat. I remember my reaction to the first sip of that beer like it was yesterday...WOW!!! I was totally blown away. It was so unlike any beer that I was used to. This beer actually had flavor!! I said to him "It tastes like Fruity Pebbles!!" Thankfully, he saw how much I enjoyed the beer and he was kind enough to share his twelve pack.

After that night, I was completely hooked on craft beer. I wanted to know everything about it. The different styles: porters, stouts, brown ales, pilsners, lagers, indian pale ales, pale ales, barley wine ale, etc. I discovered a great documentary called Beer Wars. The documentary talks about micro-breweries and their fight against the giant breweries like Bud, Miller, and Coors.

It's hard to believe that it's already been two years since I was introduced to the wonderful world of craft beer. Since I've been drinking craft beer I have a much better appreciation for good quality made beer. The beer I drink now is not made by some huge company. It's made by small independently owned micro-breweries. The beer might be more expensive, but it's like the old saying goes: You get what you pay for. And in my honest opinion...Craft beer is worth every penny. Cheers everyone!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment